4 May 2014

Mad Hatter's Champagne Afternoon Tea at the Sanderson

“I’m late I’m late I’m late”


In the words of the White Rabbit, “I’m late I’m late I’m late.” The Mad Hatter’s themed Afternoon Tea at the Sanderson Hotel opened three years ago and I’d heard great things, but never had a chance to pop down and try it out for myself. My sister was lucky enough to receive a champagne afternoon tea gift voucher for her birthday and it arrived in this wonderfully themed Alice in Wonderland gift card which I had to share with you.



The Mad Hatter’s Afternoon Tea was a bit of a fairy tale. It was a sunny day which was perfect as the seating is split between the indoor restaurant Suka, and the outdoor area, The Courtyard Garden.  The menus are tucked away inside vintage books and a musical jewellery box opens up to reveal white and brown sugar cubes.



The crockery features kings, queens and paper crowns, all of which makes this the quirkiest afternoon tea yet.



We were presented with four special teas at the beginning of the meal; Rhubarb and Custard, Mint Chocolate Chip, Apple Pie and Strawberries and Cream.



We picked the latter two along with a classic English Breaksfast, a Darjeeling, a non-classic Cappuccino….and four glasses of Champagne! The special teas were fun and fruity and the perfect accompaniment to the colourful treats on offer.



Our waitress helpfully explained each layer of the tea stand and I’ll attempt to do the same!



The bottom layer contains a number of savoury items such as vegetable quiche, sun dried tomato scones and some sushi-esque sandwiches. I say “sushi-esque” because the sandwiches were curled up and reminded us all of maki rolls. The scones and quiche were both delicious but none of us were particular keen on the sandwiches. They were a bit stodgy and the bread didn’t seem fresh. Nevertheless, this is not your traditional afternoon tea and it was interesting to see the variety of breads on offer such as spinach, dark rye and lemon.



Next, we move on to the sweets – which were never ending! There was a Chocolate Tea Cup with Green Tea, White Chocolate Mousse and Popping Candy. One of my favourites was the Melting Mango Cheesecake which was amazingly rich and fluffy. Spoiler Alert: the Cheesecake explodes when you cut into it! Finally, there’s the Tick Tock Victoria Sponge which is a twist on the English classic. The cake is layered with the jam spread along the top but it was egg-y and my fellow diners thought the same.



The top layer was light and fun; Strawberries and Cream Marshmallow “Magic Mushrooms” and Carrot Meringue served on a bed of Pea Shoots.



My absolute favourite item on the stand was the “Drink Me” potion which was filled with Passion Fruit Jelly and Creamy Coconut and Banana Mousse.


The meal ended with a trip to the overly hyped jelly trolley. It looked and tasted unappetising hence it didn't warrant a photo! 

In some ways, the Mad Hatter’s Afternoon Tea was a case of style over substance. I must admit, I’m a classic afternoon tea kinda girl and unfortunately, a bit stuck in my ways when it comes to my finger sandwiches and scones. But there's no doubt that it was a lot of fun and a lovely day out on a sunny Bank holiday weekend. 

A couple of other quirky Afternoon Teas in London that I have experienced:

Rating: 3.5/5

https://www.morganshotelgroup.com/originals/originals-sanderson-london/eat-drink/mad-hatters-afternoon-tea

Mad Hatter's Tea on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment