25 May 2014

Little Social

On Thursday, a couple of friends and I went to check out one of Jason Atherton’s restaurants on Pollen Street. Little Social is a lovely “little” upmarket brasserie just off Hanover Square and directly opposite its sister restaurant, the Michelin starred Pollen Street Social.





The atmosphere is buzzy and busy, but not too loud. We were greeted by an extremely friendly maître d who walked us passed the speakeasy style mahogany bar and down to our spacious red leather booth.  The restaurant is surprisingly casual, an interesting contrast to the gourmet food.


My fellow diners and I ordered some custom-made mocktails. We were asked to provide the waitress with our favourite flavours and we were all given our own personalised drinks which made us feel a bit special! One of my friends wasn’t too happy with hers and it was gladly replaced.

To start, we ordered the Scallops with Dashi Jelly, Shiso, Wasabi & Avocado Puree. It may sound odd, but I am always sceptical about ordering scallops in non-Japanese restaurants. Nevertheless, I was thoroughly pleased with our choice and this scallop starter was the best scallop dish I have ever tasted. They were cooked to perfection and presented beautifully. The Japanese influence suited the dish perfectly and I would highly recommend it to anyone visiting this restaurant.




For our mains, we went for the Aged Scottish Beef Burger with Bacon, Cheese, Caramelised Onions and Pickles…


The Tagliatelle with Mushroom a la Crème and Parmesan Foam…. 



And finally, the Rack, Shoulder and Shank of Lamb with Potatoes, Morels, Wild Garlic, Rosemary Mayonnaise, Baby Onions and Hot Lamb Jus that was poured over the dish at the table.



All three mains were exquisite. My friend described the Tagliatelle as the best she had ever tasted and the Burger was succulent and juicy. The Lamb was in a league of its own – I don’t really know where to begin. It was cooked exactly as requested and I enjoyed the textures of each different cut of meat. The potatoes were SO buttery and rich and the jus was light and flavoursome. I could continue go on about the mains…but I won’t.

The desserts were a tease. We witnessed dessert after dessert go passed our table and were completely indecisive when it came to making a choice. The maître d recommended the Maple Glazed Cinnamon Doughnuts but we were tempted by the Hot Chocolate Moelleux with Sea Salt and Almond Ice-cream.



It was good, but not great. The salty ice-cream complimented the sweet chocolate well but on my next visit, I’m definitely going for those doughnuts.

We experienced excellent service at Little Social – right from our arrival to the very end. It is something that has set this restaurant apart from others that I have visited recently. We had a thoroughly enjoyable evening which led to me booking a table for my parents for a pre-theatre dinner the very next day. Needless to say, they loved it too – and they got those doughnuts! The restaurant was also kind enough to bring out a birthday card and individual celebration cake for my father – it’s small touches like these that make all the difference.


                                      


I can’t wait to visit Little Social again and I’m also keen to check out the others by Jason Atherton:

Rating: 5/5

Little Social on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment