12 May 2014

The Delaunay

So, I’ve never been much of a brunch person. That’s right – a foodie who doesn’t like brunch. I'm always confused as to what to order and I often end up disappointed with my choice…or worse, with food envy.

One of my foodie friends organised a catch up brunch for a bunch of our law school buddies at The Delaunay in Aldwych. And this time, I was determined to enjoy it.



I arrived at The Delaunay on a sunny Sunday afternoon and to me, it is the perfect brunch venue. The décor is modelled on the grand cafes of Old Europe with dark wood, high ceilings and marble floors. The place oozes sophistication and elegance without being pretentious. It was packed full of people yet spacious – always a good sign!



Due to previous erroneous orders at brunch such as a full English and watery scrambled eggs, I decided to play it safe and go for a classic: Eggs Benedict. The restaurant offers you the option of one or two eggs which is great for those with a small appetite (ahem, unlike myself).



One of my fellow diners was struggling to find a suitable vegetarian option and asked our waiter for some assistance at which point he whipped out an entire vegetarian menu – much to her surprise! She went for the gnocchi with wild mushrooms, baby spinach and parmesan.



We ended the meal with an assortment of teas and coffees and I ordered a "wannabe coffee drinker" option – a single shot mocha…aka a hot chocolate with a kick.



I could not fault The Delaunay. I don’t know why I haven’t visited this place before! Great service, ambience, food and drinks…oh and a super friendly doorman(!) who was more than happy to smile for the camera! What more could you ask for?



So I guess it’s official – I am a brunch convert.

Rating: 5/5

The Delaunay on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment