9 June 2014

Il Baretto

My aunt, my sister and I caught up over dinner at Il Baretto on Friday night. This was my second visit to Il Baretto and it was even better than I remembered it to be. The place was busy and extremely well-kept considering the fact that it has been around since 2009! The décor is relatively minimalist and simple which is surprising, as it is owned by Arjun Waney – the man behind some of London's glitzy establishments such as Zuma and Coya.




Il Baretto is a classic Italian restaurant and judging by its success over the years, people keep going back for more. The hostesses were rushed off their feet and they even had to turn hungry diners away at the door. I was concerned that the service would be poor as everyone seemed to be so busy, but I was glad to be proven wrong.

We had to wait for our table for a few minutes, so the bartender entertained us by whipping up a passion fruit martini – my aunt’s new drink of choice. I went for the usual – a fruity Sauvignon Blanc which was perfect for the summery Friday evening.



We were presented with a terribly vast menu and it took us a while to decide what to order. I’m always concerned when a menu offers too much; the saying weighs true, “quality and not quantity.” But once again, I was proven wrong. The food was excellent and I’m excited to visit again to try out some of the other options; pizza, pasta, risotto, sea bass, sea bream, tuna, halibut, chicken, lamb, veal...Did I mention it was a vast menu? 





For our starter, we made a panicked decision – the Bruschetta with Tomato. In hindsight, we should have gone for something a little more adventurous. The Bruschetta was pretty average. The bread was overly toasted and too oily but the starter still tasted good as a whole.




For my mains, my sister and I chose the Beef Fillet with Red Wine Jus, Spinach and Black Truffle. Red Wine Jus is my absolute favourite accompaniment with a steak. The dish was delightful and we ordered some Italian Chips to go with it.




My aunt ordered something more typically Italian – the Ricotta and Spinach Tortelli with Sage, Butter and Parmesan. I managed to nab a few bites! The Tortelli was al dente and the Ricotta and Spinach filling was creamy and smooth – perfection on a plate!




We finished with the Milk Chocolate Fondant with Blood Orange Sorbet. It was heavenly! The sweet and fruity sorbet complimented the milky dessert really well and the presentation was beautiful. The meal definitely ended on a high.



Il Baretto is a fairly casual venue but the atmosphere, the crowd and the excellent quality of the food make it an especially enjoyable and classy evening out.    

Rating: 4/5


Il Baretto on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment